top of page

Dissolution of Marriage (Divorce) or Legal Separation 

Family Dispute

*We cannot give you legal advice or appear in court on your behalf. If your divorce is contested (the other party does not agree) and  you cannot reach an agreement, the court may order you to seek mediation. See "Our Partners" page to get a jump start on mediation. 

Colorado is a “no-fault divorce” state. Meaning, only one spouse in the marriage must believe and declare that the marriage is irretrievably broken in order for the divorce decree to be granted. The process begins once a Petition and Summons is filed with the appropriate court. There is a mandatory ninety-one day (91) waiting period upon filing. However, it can take longer if the other party contests or disputes any issues.  *One of the spouses must have been a resident of Colorado for at least 91 days prior to filing the Petition.

Common Law Marriage

Despite not having had a ceremony, you can be considered married if both parties have agreed to be husband & wife, cohabitate and handle financial affairs as husband & wife. This marriage is legally binding and would follow the same guidelines to end the marriage as those that held a ceremony. 

bottom of page